Skip to main content

Doctoring my children in Africa

I haven’t blogged in a while – things got rather busy here.

Josh is running non-stop as he figures out what it means to be Acting Director of ACTION Gulu. He feels the weight of that responsibility – having employees who depend on ACTION to put food on their tables, having 40 some children at Home of Love who are entirely dependent on us for everything, including their spiritual discipleship, having a school that is huge and needs reforms, building a missionary team…

We’ve been eternally blessed by the presence of Elizabeth this summer – a young lady who desires to serve God and joined us in Gulu for a few months to serve our family. She has focused on Gracie’s homeschooling and therapies and Gracie has thrived under Elizabeth’s attention! Elizabeth has also picked up the slack for me as third trimester of pregnancy hit with the fatigue that comes along with it.
And then the illnesses hit – with four kids, 7 total household members, and a big belly, it seems that the illnesses have been hitting harder than usual this summer. My goal is to avoid the hospitals here at all cost, so I am equipped to be doctor to my family – not my favorite role. But when Ana developed an impressive rash, high fevers, and lethargy… I was so grateful to get some advice from a trusted colleague who has spent years of his life in a low-resource setting in Africa.

And so I hit her with everything I could to knock out the illness.
In the USA, I have the antibiotic-ear infection discussion with parents and let them make the choice if they want to use antibiotics or not (they almost always choose antibiotics). Here, I’m much quicker to treat everything.

In the USA, a fever is most likely a viral infection, and I spent 6 years of practice in the USA working on perfecting my “antibiotics don’t help viral infections” speech. Here, a fever COULD still indicate a viral infection… or could indicate one of many potentially fatal illnesses – malaria, dengue, typhoid, meningitis, etc.

In the USA, I could defer to lab tests if I didn’t want to throw the kitchen sink at my child. Here, I lack confidence in the lab tests that could be theoretically be run in a clinic and I lack confidence in the safety of the tests (clean needles, etc.).

In the USA, I could ask a colleague to take a look at my child so I wouldn’t have to make the decision to give her shots or treat her for meningitis. I could ask a nurse to give her the injections so that I wouldn’t have to. I could just take my dehydrated child to the doctor’s office for some IV fluids without worrying that the doctor’s office might inadvertently kill her in the process of such a simple procedure.

The nice thing about practicing medicine here is that I can simply go to the pharmacy and buy what I need (as long as it’s available). Oh, I want ceftriaxone injections? Okay, “Itye maber, Doka, amiro cefriaxone ki syringes.” I can order directly from the medical supply store in Kampala. Once I figured out what is available here (and I’m still figuring it out), there are definitely some things to practicing medicine here that are nice!

I would prefer to have constant electricity and water, especially the nights that the children are sick… I would prefer to be able to plug in a baby monitor to keep an ear on Gracie without having to get out of bed… But, here I am, following God’s call to raise my children in Africa – LOVING it, full of peace that we are where God wants us to be and that nothing can happen outside of HIS control. He is sovereign and illness, human error, and fatigue are not bigger than God. Satan is not bigger than God. I can’t say that I haven’t been heavy-laden with concern over my very sick children this past week, but if I can lay those burdens where they belong – at JESUS’ feet and not my own – I have nothing to fear.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Abby - you are doing an amazing job! I was very interested in what you said about the differences between USA and Africa and how that changes your views on the use of drugs. It's wonderful that we have the freedom to choose what is best for our children without fear of judgment from others. Stay strong, little woman, and I'm praying that the Lord will give you rest and health, as well. I'm 31 weeks pregnant, and I get to live with central air and running water every day - and I still feel exhausted with just one child. I can only imagine all the pressure and energy YOU have to muster up for 4 children in the environment you live in while preggo. You're my hero!

Love and hugs from Delaware,
-Larisa Forest
paigerf said…
All I can say is "wow!" We are praying for you guys!
-Paige F

Popular posts from this blog

Family of Three!

We are in Liberia - the electricity goes in and out because the generator is having trouble keeping up these days! So hopefully it will stay on long enough to post and the internet connection will allow me this luxury! We were united with precious Gracie on Thanksgiving day - I will write more about this later. But, oh! is Gracie a joy! She is so beautiful, so joyfilled, and a bit mischievious. Her physical limitations do not permit her to accomplish much mischief, but we can tell that she is trying to push some limits already. If we were not in love with her already, she is irresitable and such a treasure and blessing from God. In our two days together, she has not cried once. She spends most of her days smiling, she loves to snuggle (good match for us!), and has the most contagious laugh! Life takes more effort for her - her cerebral palsy is moderate and every activity is a challenge and is clearly tiring for her. Meal times (which she loves) take a long time and much patience and d

Check out this progress!

A year ago, my friend Rachel http://josiecomehome.blogspot.com/ emailed a photo of her beautiful son standing on his own... I've since dreamed of having a photo to post of Gracie doing the same thing. It was always one of those wild-don't-think-it'll-ever-happen kind of dreams, a romantic, fairy tale type of dream. But this week, Gracie made another leap in development and muscle tone. It started when I leaned her up against the wall and planted her feet a shoulder-width apart. For the first time, she didn't lunge for the safety of my arms or hands, but rather, she allowed herself to stand steadily on her own two feet and she kept her center of gravity centered over her feet instead of wildly in front of her or to one side or the other. She even quickly figured out that she couldn't lurch around in excitement while standing on her own two feet with no support but a wall behind her back, but rather had to express her excitement over this new development with a gentl

Amazing girls!

Gracie and Ana have taken to walking around the church together - Ana pushes Gracie's gait trainer as Gracie walks along. Between the two of them, they make a pretty efficient team (except for the steering part!). They love it and could do it for hours! Gracie has made amazing strides (no pun intended) in standing up - we'll get some video up soon of her standing, supporting herself ONLY with her right hand (her otherwise useless hand) - it's amazing! We didn't dream that we'd see her looking this strong and steady. Plus, now she's smiling and her little heart isn't pounding out of her chest with stress at the thought of standing up without human contact - God is SO good! Gracie went to music camp this summer at the Y which was somewhat fun for her, but definitely good to have her around other kids.