Skip to main content

The Foolishness of God's Calling

A friend shared with me how "strange" (and scary) our decisions appear to those observing our lives. Most people are barely surviving residency and then for me to decide to adopt, to decide to adopt a child with special needs, to decide to adopt this child from the uncertainty of Liberia, to decide to start my Master's of Public Health during residency... it all seems crazy and overwhelming to the observer.

But what my friend did not take into account is that God's calling on our lives will not always appear sane. Our choices are neither noble nor insane if they are what God has called us to. These choices are simply obedience to sovereign God! We are not living for life in this world, we are in fact aliens to this world and shouldn't settle down and get too comfortable because our joy is in heaven. God calls each of us to "not waste our lives" but live each day with an eternal focus. With an eternal focus, we should not only adopt a child with disabilities, we should care for all the orphans and widows that we possibly can. We should not only complete the training that God has called us to, but we should work to fulfill God's calling with a sense of urgency as tomorrow may be the day that we stand in glory and have to give an account for our lives. We should reach out to our neighbors, church, family with Christ's love and an answer for why we do what we do with that same sense of urgency since they too might be before God tomorrow, asking us why we never told them the saving truth.

So why have we knowingly adopted a child with several chronic conditions? Why am I pursuing my MPH while in residency? Why is Josh going to seminary while working at the church and trying to find odd jobs to help sustain us financially? For only one reason: To bring Glory to God. Today is our day to serve the Lord, today is the day that we must do everything we possibly can to His glory.

While I was in Kenya as a medical student, God dramatically taught me a lesson about my calling to mother children. I lost a 3 week old baby whose mother had valiently been in the hospital since birth trying to keep her alive. As I walked from the hospital, through the grave yard to my house at 3:00am, I asked God why He would permit such futility. This mother had sacrificed so much of her scarce resources to maintain her pregnancy and sustain a sick baby in such a resource poor setting for only 3 weeks of a baby's life! What was the point?!

God distinctly told me, "if I call you to love and nurture a child for one day only, that is what I have called you to and that is worth eternity to that child." In other words, if God calls me to nurture a child with a terminal illness just for a couple weeks until the child dies, that brings glory to God and is worth all the grief that I may feel. The point is that it's not about me, not about my emotions, not about my pride, not about my achievements, my earthly pleasure - it is about God's glory, eternal joy, and obedience to God's call on our lives!

Comments

Anonymous said…
WOW! You guys never cease to amaze me with your faith and discernment of God's will for your lives. You guys have been such an ecnouragement and inspiration to me as I've been seeking God's will and calling for my life.

I love you guys. Lord willing, I'll come up to New Hampshire. God bless you guys always.

In Jesus,
Ken
Anonymous said…
It is such an amazing sense of peace when you're striving to live with an eternal pespective rather than living for yourself. Striving to glorify God makes earthly things seem trivial when you have a purpose in life that is so much greater than you! Gracie is such a joy and has already taught everyone so much. She has also brought such great unconconditional love that there is not a doubt in the minds of those who love her that this decision has glorified God!
Katie said…
Abby,
you dont know me, but I am adopting from AOH as well. I read your blog when I can and today it looks like I needed to read it. Thanks for sharing your heart and for speaking truth...I needed to hear this tonight.
Thanks
Katie
Anonymous said…
Josh & Abby,
God bless you mightily! I agree with you God's Calling for us may look foolishness to many. To obey God's calling is so rewarding and refreshing. In the world we are living today God is looking for men and women like you to use to be a blessing to many but many are refusing God's calling. Be encouraged you are doing what God has for you. May He encourage and give you all the strength you need for his ministry. What you have done is a challenge to many of us.

Rev. Peter Ngogoyo Njoroge, Kijabe. Kenya.

Popular posts from this blog

Family of Three!

We are in Liberia - the electricity goes in and out because the generator is having trouble keeping up these days! So hopefully it will stay on long enough to post and the internet connection will allow me this luxury! We were united with precious Gracie on Thanksgiving day - I will write more about this later. But, oh! is Gracie a joy! She is so beautiful, so joyfilled, and a bit mischievious. Her physical limitations do not permit her to accomplish much mischief, but we can tell that she is trying to push some limits already. If we were not in love with her already, she is irresitable and such a treasure and blessing from God. In our two days together, she has not cried once. She spends most of her days smiling, she loves to snuggle (good match for us!), and has the most contagious laugh! Life takes more effort for her - her cerebral palsy is moderate and every activity is a challenge and is clearly tiring for her. Meal times (which she loves) take a long time and much patience and d

Check out this progress!

A year ago, my friend Rachel http://josiecomehome.blogspot.com/ emailed a photo of her beautiful son standing on his own... I've since dreamed of having a photo to post of Gracie doing the same thing. It was always one of those wild-don't-think-it'll-ever-happen kind of dreams, a romantic, fairy tale type of dream. But this week, Gracie made another leap in development and muscle tone. It started when I leaned her up against the wall and planted her feet a shoulder-width apart. For the first time, she didn't lunge for the safety of my arms or hands, but rather, she allowed herself to stand steadily on her own two feet and she kept her center of gravity centered over her feet instead of wildly in front of her or to one side or the other. She even quickly figured out that she couldn't lurch around in excitement while standing on her own two feet with no support but a wall behind her back, but rather had to express her excitement over this new development with a gentl

Amazing girls!

Gracie and Ana have taken to walking around the church together - Ana pushes Gracie's gait trainer as Gracie walks along. Between the two of them, they make a pretty efficient team (except for the steering part!). They love it and could do it for hours! Gracie has made amazing strides (no pun intended) in standing up - we'll get some video up soon of her standing, supporting herself ONLY with her right hand (her otherwise useless hand) - it's amazing! We didn't dream that we'd see her looking this strong and steady. Plus, now she's smiling and her little heart isn't pounding out of her chest with stress at the thought of standing up without human contact - God is SO good! Gracie went to music camp this summer at the Y which was somewhat fun for her, but definitely good to have her around other kids.