Skip to main content

I'll be home for Christmas (part one)

I have a strand of gaudy colorful blinking Christmas lights this year.  And electricity to run them some nights.  Last year, I couldn't even figure out how to find paper to cut our snowflakes in the dark.

I have five children this year - last year I had three.

Josh is director over all the ACTION ministries in Gulu this year - last year we were trying to figure out how to buy tomatoes and drive on the left side of the road.  I failed at five different attempts to make fudge.  I couldn't find cheese or vanilla in Gulu.

So much changes in a year.

Especially this year.

I've hit the wall - mix of culture shock (shock is hardly the word), extreme stress, repeated threats against our team and ministries, five young (needy) children, and ... you name it!

And it's Christmas-time.

Normally, I would have been the first to decorate my home for Christmas.  This year, we have been so busy to the max, that my tiny partially decorated Christmas tree is propped in the corner, only decorated because we hosted the staff Christmas party and I thought it would be a nice touch.  My prized strand of Christmas lights is draped over the window bars.

It's not snowy.  There's no hustle or bustle.  Just an increase in the price of meat.  There are really no Christmas presents to think about buying here. (Although I do want to buy some comfy chairs someday for our bedroom... but that's a big project - I don't have energy for that!)

This Saturday, my sister-in-law and her husband will arrive "home" to New Hampshire for time with the family.  My sister will be doing the same - joining my family in Pennsylvania.  People on facebook, in a different world, are complaining about post-office lines, snow-days, stiff fingers from wrapping so many presents.

Last Christmas, we were hosting Home of Love children - stressful, to say the least, but exciting because we had waited SO long to be here and have those children in our home! This year, I have a desperate need to just be with my family.  Hunker down, cook American-style Christmas food, turn on the fans full-blast, play soothing Christmas carols, be HOME.

But, what a blessing it is that I have such a strong family network.  As I long to see my family, tuck the kids under fleece blankies in new footie-PJs, play games way too late into the night, laugh at Isaac's shinanigans till I'm crying, put Gracie on my mom's horse, I realize that this longing fits right in with what is weighing so heavily on my mind these days: how to best care for orphans.

I have an earthly family, I belong.  I have a heavenly Father who will never abandon me.

What does this mean as we seek how best to care for the 60+ orphans in our care?

I'll be home for Christmas... but what does that mean for our 60+ children who are now "home" in the villages for Christmas, but don't identify with home at all?

...to be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family of Three!

We are in Liberia - the electricity goes in and out because the generator is having trouble keeping up these days! So hopefully it will stay on long enough to post and the internet connection will allow me this luxury! We were united with precious Gracie on Thanksgiving day - I will write more about this later. But, oh! is Gracie a joy! She is so beautiful, so joyfilled, and a bit mischievious. Her physical limitations do not permit her to accomplish much mischief, but we can tell that she is trying to push some limits already. If we were not in love with her already, she is irresitable and such a treasure and blessing from God. In our two days together, she has not cried once. She spends most of her days smiling, she loves to snuggle (good match for us!), and has the most contagious laugh! Life takes more effort for her - her cerebral palsy is moderate and every activity is a challenge and is clearly tiring for her. Meal times (which she loves) take a long time and much patience and d

Check out this progress!

A year ago, my friend Rachel http://josiecomehome.blogspot.com/ emailed a photo of her beautiful son standing on his own... I've since dreamed of having a photo to post of Gracie doing the same thing. It was always one of those wild-don't-think-it'll-ever-happen kind of dreams, a romantic, fairy tale type of dream. But this week, Gracie made another leap in development and muscle tone. It started when I leaned her up against the wall and planted her feet a shoulder-width apart. For the first time, she didn't lunge for the safety of my arms or hands, but rather, she allowed herself to stand steadily on her own two feet and she kept her center of gravity centered over her feet instead of wildly in front of her or to one side or the other. She even quickly figured out that she couldn't lurch around in excitement while standing on her own two feet with no support but a wall behind her back, but rather had to express her excitement over this new development with a gentl

Amazing girls!

Gracie and Ana have taken to walking around the church together - Ana pushes Gracie's gait trainer as Gracie walks along. Between the two of them, they make a pretty efficient team (except for the steering part!). They love it and could do it for hours! Gracie has made amazing strides (no pun intended) in standing up - we'll get some video up soon of her standing, supporting herself ONLY with her right hand (her otherwise useless hand) - it's amazing! We didn't dream that we'd see her looking this strong and steady. Plus, now she's smiling and her little heart isn't pounding out of her chest with stress at the thought of standing up without human contact - God is SO good! Gracie went to music camp this summer at the Y which was somewhat fun for her, but definitely good to have her around other kids.